Sunday, June 15, 2014

Dexter's Cat Stand

About 17 years ago, I brought my college roommate's cat with me to my new apartment in DC.  My Dad made me this cat stand/toy for Dexter (my cat) to play on.   When Dexter passed away, I had a hard time parting with this stand even though I knew I would probably never have a cat again.   With our upcoming move, I decided it was time to part ways, so I had it set out.   Alex, Aubrey, and our neighborhood friend saw it and decided it would make a great bird feeder/stand.  So they decorated it with stuff they found around the yard and then added a little birdseed along with it.   The birds enjoyed it (as well as other animals) and the kids had a great time playing with it.
 
I have to say that it brought a tear or two to my eye to watch the kids play with it.   When my Dad made this, he never would have imagined that his two grandchildren would be playing with it.  He only built it for his grandcat and now he has two wonderful grandchildren.  I do just wish my Dad would have met them.  He would be so proud.  



3 comments:

Kendra said...

That totally brought a tear to my eye! Dad would ABSOLUTELY be proud! That is SO great that the twins were able to enjoy it. GREAT PICTURES!!!

Andrea said...

Awe same here, I remember when dad made that for Dexter. I LOVED Dexter! :-) When I see the pictures, I was like "Aww sweet!"!

Kimberly said...

I thought it was great to see the kids playing with it. So creative and inventive. Your dad would have been proud!